All have been in storage, I removed them from the packaging, some may have bent corners or may need a little touching up before framing, one has wrinkled paper in one area, can be wet mounted to art board, some Framers may even “iron” them out, please ask for full description before buying
The originals are in the Portland Community College libary and can be viewed here, http://www.pcc.edu/library/art/cascade/gallery_of_greats.html I have 11 of the set of 12, I'm Missing one only. all have minor issues but can most can be covered by matting, I'll be listing others in the near future,
Click on photos to enlarge,
One of Clarence's well known works is The Black Airman,” outside the Cadet Chapel at the Air Force Academy.
In addition to being a member of the famed Tuskegee Airmen, Mr. Shivers was also a very accomplished artist and a philanthropist – giving back as he was prospered. He especially motivated, helped and encouraged young artists who revered him as a grandfather figure. His trailblazing can-do attitude endeared him to everyone who knew him. He died in 2007 at the age of 83 in Colorado Springs, CO having been married to his wife Peggy, who is an operatic soprano as well as a music teacher, for 37 years. The legacy Dr. Shivers left his family and the world is TREMENDOUS! One of his seminal works was a series that he was commissioned to do on the Civil Right’s era. Our auction features 11 of the 12 signed artist’s proofs from this body of work. Here is the artist’s statement regarding the esteem with which he regarded this commission:
"One has to admire the quiet dignity and steadfast determination in the nonviolent efforts of Black Americans to right the wrongs of America. The fight for freedom cannot be won once and for all in a single decisive battle. The struggle is a never ending one. The commission to produce the Civil Rights artwork is a highlight in my artistic career. It has allowed me to meet and relive the experiences of some of the most important people in the world. I love you and with this artwork, I salute you."
The signed proofs that we include in our lot of 11 Clarence Shiver’s Civil Right’s Series include:
1. “FROM THE MARCHES TO THE U. N.” (AP 464/500) - Andrew Young
2. “FREE AT LAST (AP 464/500) - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
3. “EVERY MAN MY BROTHER” (AP 464/500) - Whitney Moore Young Jr.
4. “ GEORGIA’S STATE CAPITOL AND CONSCIENCE” (AP 464/500) –Julian Bond
5. “THE SHARELESS SHARECROPPER” (AP 464/500) – Fannie Lou Hamer
6. “HIS DESTINY WAS TO LEAD” (AP 464/500) - Asa Philip Randolph
7. “PERFECTION PERSONIFIED” (AP 464/500) - Paul Robeson
8. “MISSISSIPPI IN MY BLOOD – MY BLOOD IN MISSISSIPPI” (AP 464/500) Medgar Wiley Evers
9. “THE GENTLE GIANT (AP 464/500) - Reverend Leon Howard Sullivan
10. “MR. N.A.A.C.P.” (AP 464/500) - Roy Wilkins
11. “I AM SOMEBODY” (AP 464/500) - Reverend Jesse Louis Jackson
I am missing the Bayard Rustin print